End of A Vacation

Our summer camping trip came to an abrupt end today. Friday afternoon, while taking a  hike along the Nooksack River with friends Marc and Ace, Jean tripped on a rock and planted her face into the rocks. Since we were a bit ahead of her and close to the river, we didn’t hear her cries for help. She got up off the ground, bent her glasses back in shape, and limped to where we were sitting by the river. The sight of her coming down the hill sent me reeling. It was evident that something was wrong. Her face had dark smears and her grimace conveyed to me that I needed to get up that hill. I helped her down to the river where she sat and recovered her equilibrium while we assessed the damages. With bruised and skinned eyes, nose, and forehead as well as a badly bruised rib it was apparent that we needed to get her back to camp.

Jean as she arrived back at camp.

Jean as she arrived back at camp.

The four of us returned to camp and Ace used her nursing skills to expertly clean Jean’s wounds and apply dressings.

Getting cleaned up

Getting cleaned up

Almost done with the clean up and first aid

Almost done with the clean up and first aid

We iced her ribs and Jean settled in for the evening dinner with our extended clan and slept as well as could be expected that night.

Ice on the appropriate places

Ice on the appropriate places

On Saturday she began feeling more pain in her ribs and we decided she could use an elastic bandage. We drove 30 miles to a drug store where we could get a wide elastic bandage to wrap her ribs. Doses of aspirin, ice,  and some (legal in WA) hits on a vape pen with high CBD kept the pain at bay for our evening group dinner and music. This also was a celebration of our 28th wedding anniversary.

After a restless night Jean needed to return home. Therefore, at 10:00 this morning I began breaking camp and readying the trailer for our trip home. We left Mt. Baker at 11:30 and arrived home about 2:45. Jean is much more comfortable at home and a trip to our local green store provided a new vape pen. Tomorrow she will see the doctor to further assess the damages.

However, I want to leave you with some photos of a few of the beautiful things we saw since leaving civilization for the wilds of Mt. Baker. It is a wonderful area.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Tomorrow is another day!

Paul

About Paul

I'm retired, but working at painting, photography, and song writing. We like to travel and paint plein air in new places. Of course that's also where photography comes into the picture, so to speak. Sometimes I get inspired to write songs about the people and places we visit.
This entry was posted in Photography, Retirement, Travel, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to End of A Vacation

1. Mary Rose Cossi says:

We are so sorry, Jean, that you had to go through all of this. We are thinking of you, and send our love. Take care, rest, and heal. Love, Mary Rose and Don

2. Vicki Silkiss says:

Ohhh… What pain! Pobrecita. i hope, Jean, that soon it’ll just seem like a momentary bad dream and that the other memories of that glorious area, and the many years of your wonderful marriage, will loom that much stronger. (P.S. … good thing Paul had experience in finding the ‘green store; i won’t say why.)

3. Antoinette says:

Ouch. I have fallen twice and broken something (the first time my arm, the second time a tooth). Jean will be excused if she misses the writers meeting this evening, and she will have sympathy from all of us.

4. Carolyn Raham says:

Dear Jeannie, I am soooo sorry! That is a definite bummer! Please heal fast. LOL Cousin Carolyn

5. gwpj says:

Ouch! reminds me of reasons I should stay on my feet (which isn’t always so easy to do).

6. redharparts says:

Oh, my! That’s certainly an unpleasant way to celebrate such a wonderful anniversary! Hope she feels better soon.

7. Jean-Paul Dumont says:

Oh, by Jove, what the hell is going on there; I borrow the phrase from my grandniece.
    We are leaving tomorrow afternoon and we discovered your message or posting just a few minutes ago. I must say that you have a strange way of celebrating your anniversary!
    Of course, we certainly hope that Jean recuperates as fast as possible and that the physician will not find any reason to exert his or her talents further.
    Our suitcases are not yet made and keep yawning on a bed.
    I did not know Candace had such nursing talents and am duly impressed. I am sorry for all the brouhaha and certainly wish you both a return very soon to normalcy.
    Koko and Marie respectively send their love. I join them of course.
    P.S. The pictures are alas impressive.

8. Robin says:

Sure hope Jean is okay and happy that you came home so she can get to the doctor. Looks painful!! Sending prayers and healing thoughts!!